Friday, November 19, 2010

These Are a Few of My Favourite Things

This week's writing prompt at The Red Dress Club was to write a piece, fiction or non-fiction, that was inspired by a song.  When I saw this I knew that I had to try it because I love music and I know so many songs that I thought, surely,  I could find one that would inspire me.  

Perhaps, something from my favourite chanteuse, Natalie Merchant, whose lyrics are brilliant.  

But no, when I sat down to write, all that came to my mind was, "Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens..."  

I thought a little harder, how about Amanda Marshall, "Everybody's got a story that could break your heart."  But no.  

It was "Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens.  Brown paper packages tied up with string.  These are a few of my favourite things."  

It insisted and persisted, so I decided to give in and give it a voice.  I realize that this is probably not exactly the "piece" they were looking for but the following poem, based on the rhythm and structure of the Julie Andrews song from the Sound of Music, is what evolved from the prompt.

Just in case you are not familiar with the song, I found this haunting, ethereal version of My Favourite Things on You Tube.  This version is so far removed from the original version.  The video is dark and thought provoking; I love it!

These Are a Few of My Favourite Things

My first sip of coffee; a breeze off the ocean
A thought in my head that sets me to motion
A song on the radio I just have to sing
These are a few of my favourite things

Little white ramekins all in a row
Seeds that I’ve planted, they're starting to grow
The warm welcome feeling a red door will bring
These are a few of my favourite things

Finding the words to show what I’m feeling
Writing them down; they’re part of the healing
The smile of my grandson and my wedding ring
These are a few of my favourite things

When the day’s dark
When the rain falls
When life makes me teary
I simply remember my favourite things
And then I don’t feel so weary




4 comments:

Rathi said...

Oooooh! nice composition. I like the energy behind this piece. glad you joined. :-) have a great weekend.

Unknown said...

Oh, I thought this was LOVELY! and a sweet twist on the prompt. Ironic also because my twin girls are VERY into The Sound of Music right now and they love that song. So happy you linked up with us!
;-)
p.s. following you now b/c I enjoyed this so much!

erin @ the mother load
@erinlynn76

Anonymous said...

This was great! Those are some of my favorite things as well!

Cheryl said...

One of my all-time favorite movies! And a very sweet twist on the song.