Friday, January 21, 2011

Do you Mind?

This post was inspired by this week's prompt at The Red Dress Club:

Hemingway was famous for his super sparse writing. He used almost only dialogue in many of his works. Write a piece in which you use ONLY dialogue.



I can’t believe you actually did it.

Why not?

Well, because I really didn’t think you would.

Apparently, you don’t think very much of me.  Do you?

What do you mean?  Of course, I do.  

Well, it sounds like you didn’t think that I could do it.

No.  That’s not what I said at all.  I said I didn’t think that you would do it.  I knew that you could do it.

Then you didn’t think that I had the guts to do it?

Guts have nothing to do with it.  I just thought that you had more sense than that.

What is that supposed to mean?

Well, I really thought that you were above all this new agey stuff and it disturbs me a little to know that you finally caved.

Caved?!  Hardly!

Well, what would you call it?

I call it keeping up with the times and stepping into the twenty first century. You should try it.

Phffft!

What are you afraid of?

I am not afraid.  I just can’t be bothered.  It seems silly to me.

I think you’d like it.

What makes you say that?

Well, because it’s relaxing and liberating.  Why don’t you try it?  

I don’t know.  Do you really think I would like it?

Of course, I wouldn’t lie to you.  Do you want to try it right now?

Well, okay, but don’t tell anybody.

Of course, not.  Who would I tell anyways?  Come on over here and sit down.  

Okay, now what?

Well, close your eyes.  Relax your shoulders and your neck.  Are you ready?

I guess so.

Okay, now take a deep breath.

All right, now what?

Well, you’re done.  That’s it.

What do you mean, that’s it?

Like I said, that’s it.  You just meditated.

But I didn’t do anything.

Exactly, all you have to do is relax, be still and clear your mind.  Since you’ve already got the empty mind part down pat, all you had to do was work on the relaxing part.  Now, wasn't that great?!


6 comments:

Cheryl said...

HA! This is funny! And the dialogue flowed beautifully. Love the part about having the empty mind down pat.

Jo K said...

Nice outcome! I enjoyed this a lot.

{Stephanie}The Drama Mama said...

I'm laughing. That ending was great!! Beautiful flow in the dialogue. Easy to read, easy to understand. Well done!

MultitaskMumma said...

That was very tricky LOL

Tracie Nall said...

Hahaha! That was great!

Cristina said...

hehe! great dialogue :)