Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Difference Between Orchids and Cacti



 

Sometimes, I think in analogies.  There are many for each of life's situations.  For instance, in the last year both my daughter and my son have given me plants and the choices, I think, were very fitting. 

My son gave me an orchid.  As many of us know, orchids require a lot of attention.  They need to be watered consistently, not too much, not too little.  The have to be placed in a suitable environment and the temperature has to be just right, otherwise they will wither and die.

My daughter gave me a cactus.  Cacti are much easier to deal with than orchids.  You can ignore them for long periods of time and they will be self-sufficient, not needing to be watered regularly.  They just sit there waiting for you to finish attending to the orchid.

The orchid has since withered away and the cactus?... well, it is still sitting on my window sill waiting to be watered.



This was my 5 minute Stream of Consciousness Sunday post. It’s five minutes of your time and a brain dump. Want to try it? Here are the rules…
  • Set a timer and write for 5 minutes only.
  • Write an intro to the post if you want but don’t edit the post. No proofreading or spell checking. This is writing in the raw.
  • Publish it somewhere. Anywhere. The back door to your blog if you want. But make it accessible.
  • Add the Stream of Consciousness Sunday badge to your post.
  • Link up your post.
  • Visit your fellow bloggers and show some love.

1 comment:

all.things.fadra said...

I have a fake orchid and it looks beautiful after 8 years. My real cactus is crazy looking but has stayed alive under the most stressful conditions. I think I have it right.